i'm proud of these pork tacos. i just pulled the ingredients out, using what i had in the fridge and pantry, and didn't even look up a single recipe. this is the kind of cook i hope to become one day. a cook where i can just make use of what i have and not look up recipes for every meal.
Pork Tacos [Serves 4-6]
*note: marinate your pork loin steaks ahead of time
- 4 pork loin steaks
- grape seed oil to coat the pork (can use olive oil, i just had grape seed oil)
- salt & pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
- coat the pork loin steaks with grape seed oil.
- combine your salt, pepper, cayenne & garlic, and rub into the pork. place in a ziplock bag and marinate 4-6 hours. i did it overnight.
- 1 tablespoon grape see oil
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 small white onion, chopped
- 1 can (approx 14.5oz) of diced fire roasted tomatoes
- salsa (your choice), i used chipotle salsa
- 1 can (15.25oz) of corn (optional)
|sauté veggies // sear pork // simmer pork|
- pull your pork loin steaks out and set them aside.
- heat your pan to medium high, add 1 tablespoon of grape seed oil, add chopped veggies and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until tender.
- once tender, remove them from the heat and set aside.
- turn stove on medium high heat, i placed my pork loin steaks down and seared about 1 minute on each side. then pour the can of fire roasted tomatoes into the pan, sprinkle about 1/2 tablespoon with salt & pepper, and a 1 teaspoon of cayenne (if you like less heat you can omit or adjust as necessary), turn to high heat and bring the sauce to just barely a boil (when you the sauce just starts popping)
- Turn down to simmer. let the pork loin steaks simmer for about 4-6 minutes, making sure to turn for even cooking. the cooking times will vary depending on the thickness, i had pieces that were approximately 1inch thick more or less, as you can see it varied between the steaks.
- remove from heat, and remove the pork to a cutting board. slice, and then place on a plate or in bowl and top with the fire roasted tomato sauce from the pan.
- heat up your tortillas, you can microwave or heat them in a pan, your choice
- to assemble: warm tortilla, layered with pork and tomato mixture, sautéed veggies, corn, salsa. eat.
- assemble. eat. repeat.
I hope you enjoy this! and if you make too much, don't worry. it'll be just as delicious the next day with the pork swimming around in the fire roasted tomato sauce.
<3 roe [flan remix]