Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Fashionably On Time

I'm a big planner.  My friends call me Mama Roe because I'm always making sure people are where they need to be in a timely fashion.  Which also means when making dinner reservations for a large group I tack on an extra 15-30 minutes to compensate for those running late, and time looking for parking.  However, more often than not, half the group arrives on time, and I never thought about how offensive it could be to them, especially since I would arrive at the announced time (90% of the time, and not because I decided I would be late), and hope that the restaurant had a bar or at least an indoor waiting area.

I never would have thought twice about my actions or the actions of these latecomers until I saw this article this morning by Greg Savage.  I realized I was doing it all wrong.  Yes, I wanted everyone to be present for our dinner reservation, but who was I helping?  Not only was I wasting the time of my friends that decided to come on time and even early, but I was enabling the chronic latecomers.

We all have friends that are chronic latecomers, and don't get me wrong, I love each one of my latecomers just as much as the early arrivers, but perhaps it's time to respect our time.  I'm not perfect, and know that I can often run late from time to time, but it is never my intention to run late.  And I'm sure it's not anyone's conscious decision to run late most of the time, but if you're often late, please plan ahead.  I took my time to get ready earlier, move things around, get my butt out the door in a timely fashion and sit in traffic longer to get to you on time, so I hope you do, too.

I'm sorry if I ever made you arrive early to accommodate the latecomers.  I apologize for enabling my latecomers.  I'm sorry if I ever arrived late without notice.  I promise to be respectful of your time, and I hope you do the same.

NEW RULE: 
1. Last person to arrive pays.
2. If everyone arrives on time. Awesome! Let's enjoy a delicious bottle of wine!

Let's be fashionably on time.
We'll have much more fun that way.  
Kate Spade Mix & Match Metro Grand Watch

No comments:

Post a Comment