Friday, April 11, 2014

DIY: Jeweled Headpiece

Some years, not too long ago, I was a habitual headband kind of girl.  I mean a different kind of headband everyday, could be mistaken for one of the Queen B lackeys, kind of headband girl (okay maybe not, but a girl can dream).  I was recently purging my accessories and found a stack of headbands that I didn't wear anymore.  Some with flowers, some with feathers, some with ribbons, or sequins.  They don't really fit my style anymore, but I love and miss the polished look it gave me.  I am super low maintenance, so the most time I'd want to spend time on my hair is 0-60 secs.  You'd be lucky if you saw it out of a bun, or presently, you'd be lucky if I ran my fingers through my hair.  Seeing those headbands inspired me to try a little more in finishing my look and inspired me to create a hairpiece that would fit my current style more.

I busted out my artsy craft box, and started plucking away at potential supplies to create this little monster. A little bit of grosgrain ribbon, some Swarovski crystals, scissors, needle, thread, YUP that's about it.

I measured where the center was marked out where I wanted the crystals to fall.  I threaded my needle and tied off the end.  Note: thread your needle so that you have to strands, instead of one.  I started at one end and zig zagged my way down to the other end, and tied the thread off on the back side.
To finish the ends off, I folded over the ends and sewed it down.
You might worry about the headband slipping off.  I used grosgrain ribbon so there's a little more friction, but you can also grab some bobby pins and secure it towards the side and back.  I love things that can do double duty, so was ecstatic when I realized I could tie this around my neck to make a simple necklace.

Here are some other great versions for DIY headbands:

2 Easy Headbands by Love Meagan
Double Strand Lace Headband by McLaughlin Designs
Feather Headband by Fashionrolla
Floral Studded Headband by Style Noted
Sparkle Headbands by Flax and Twine

Hope you enjoyed this DIY piece!

<3 roe

No comments:

Post a Comment