Friday, May 2, 2014

Cook: Crab Salad

Just got back from Maui for a beautiful wedding a couple days ago.  When I got home all I wanted to do was sleep, but let's face it, this girl has got to eat.  I had to think of something quick and easy to make, and something that wouldn't require me to turn on a stove since the weather in San Jose has been HOT.  A refreshing salad was in order.  I already had 2 crabs of crab meat on hand, so I proceeded to throw in refreshing ingredients, grape tomatoes, chopped cucumbers, chopped avocados, corn, hearts of palm, jalapeños, red onions, and some olive oil, lime juice, and salt and pepper.

Description of Photo

Summer Crab Salad [Serves 4-6 as meal]

  • red onion
  • 3 tsp olive oil
  • juice of 4 limes
  • 1 chopped avocado
  • 24 oz lump crab meat, I used the crab meat from 2 whole crabs
  • 1 large cucumber, skinned, and chopped
  • 1 can of corn
  • 1 can of hearts of palm
  • 2 cups of grape tomatoes, sliced in half
  • 1 jalapeño, deseeded and chopped
  1. Mix your red onions with olive oil and lime juice.  Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes for the flavors to meld together.
  2. Add the remainder of your ingredients, toss together.
  3. Add salt & pepper to taste.
  4. Enjoy!
You can plate this on top of a bed of salad, or eat with chips like salsa, or eat it as is.  I enjoyed it all three ways in one sitting.  What can I say, it was soooo refreshing!

I know many people don't like to eat the crab shell because it doesn't look appetizing, but the "guts" or better know as the crab "butter" is delicious!  I normally throw rice in there and mix it around, and eat it as is.  This time, I threw a little rice in there, and topped it with the crab salad.  If you haven't tried the crab "butter" I definitely encourage you to try it, and if you don't like it, no harm done.  Just enjoy that awesomely refreshing crab salad you just made.

Thanks for stopping by!!

<3 roe

No comments:

Post a Comment